July 15, 2004
"What a catch!"
Little quiz for y'all.
1. Can you tell the difference between chive and spring onion?
2. Can you tell the difference between spinach and kailan?
3. Can you tell the difference between minced beef and minced pork?
4. Can you tell when spaghetti is cooked to al dente?
5. Can you tell if a fish is fresh?
6. Do you know what is the 'rubbing-in' method in baking?
7. Do you know what is the 'folding-in' method in baking?
8. Do you know what's the common use of cornflour in chinese cooking?
9. Can you tell a shallot from a garlic? How about from an onion?
10. Do you know what is the best level of heat to stir fry food?
11. Can you marinate chicken wings?
12. Do you know how to use a can opener?
13. Do you know soft tofu can be eaten direct from the packaging?
These are just some of the questions that were posed in my kitchen skills training session at work. And, I was a bit taken aback that all these questions, to which I know all the answers, were genuine questions from some of my colleagues (most older than me, btw).
I don't claim to be a good cook. Matter of fact, I hardly cook. But, that's really because there's no need for me to since my Ma cooks all the meals at home (and she's an amazing cook). But, see, I'm really close to my Ma. So, during all the time I was growing up and even now, I would stand beside her and chat with her while she does her cooking. And, I would help her with simple stir-fry, chopping, marinating, and being inquisitive about the things I put into my mouth, I ask a lot of questions. Plus, I go to the wet market (not just supermarket) to buy ingredients for the week with my Ma whenever I can. In fact, it's my favourite Sunday morning activity. That's how I equipped myself with a little knowledge in culinary art. I didn't know my little knowledge would appear to be a lot to one of my colleagues, who assumed and exclaimed that I must cook very well.
Laifa once commented that any girl can cook. He said that it's just a matter of opening the package and stuffing them into the microwave and doing her nails while waiting for the wonderful 'beep'.
I told him my idea of cooking really has nothing to do with the microwave. And he brushed that aside, saying I'm just different from most other girls.
Of course I am. Two reasons: I can cook if I need or if I want to, and I see food as a means to an end, so my favourite meal is simply, rice, steamed egg with minced pork, and stir-fried beansprouts with chilli.
Honestly, if I were a man, I would gladly marry myself (and not just for the above reasons). haha...
Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 17:26